After reviewing the movies I saw this year, I realized that for the most part, they have all been summer megacorp blockbusters.
There are a few that I still plan to see, like Eastwood’s Gran Torino or Rachel Getting Married (can’t pass up Eastwood as a racist curmudgeon, nor any movie about family strife, due to my professional interests).
What did you like this year? Any gems that I have missed? Feel free to be honest, because really, my list is pretty main-stream.
- The Dark Knight – No contest, at least for the IMAX version.
- Mamma Mia! – By no means a great film, but with the energy of the theater crowd I loved it.
- There Will Be Blood – Yes, it was released in 2007 (on Dec. 26th) for Oscar consideration. However, I saw it this year, and was amazed. Kind of a downer, but powerful.
- Iron Man – Burger King successfully marketed their cheeseburgers, to me anyway.
Honorable Mention: The X-Files: I Want to Believe – Mulder and Scully together again. As long as the chemistry is there, you could put them in Indiana Jones or Cloverfield and I would watch it.
Two superheroes, Pierce Brosnan singing, and Pixar? Do I need to expand my tastes a little? Other movies I considered but felt they were ultimately flawed:
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Just because it’s long, doesn’t mean it’s a good movie. Plus, too much of it felt Forrest Gump-y. Take out 45 minutes and it would be pretty decent, with some interesting themes and a few existential dilemmas.
- Pineapple Express – Watched it on a plane. Really funny, but ultimately way too violent in a senseless B-movie kind of way, which ended up just feeling weird.
- Horton Hears a Who – Who knows? If I had not of fallen asleep, it may have been really good!
I also want to make another plug for kids-in-mind. Our ratings system is still flawed, as Benjamin Button is not for 13 year-olds (in my opinion).